8 Skin Care Tips for Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin ranges from allergic reactions to exposure to a particular ingredient/ingredients found in your skin care products to being genetically-predisposed for certain skin conditions such as rosacea. Here are 8 tips to care for sensitive skin:
· Always do a patch test before incorporating a skincare product to your daily routine. Apply new product behind the ear, wait 24-48 hours to see if there is an adverse reaction (i.e. redness, tiny bumps, itching).
· Avoid products containing sulfates, fragrance, or synthetic dyes.
· Refrain from using astringents/toners containing irritating ingredients such as alcohol and menthol.
· Seek out soothing soap-free ingredients that also act as anti-inflammatories, such as licorice extract, green tea, and colloidal oatmeal and look for ingredients like glycerin and hyaluronic acid to retain skin’s moisture.
· Refrain from cleansing face with extremely cold/hot water. Cool or lukewarm water is optimal.
· Gently exfoliate and avoid using overly abrasive scrubs or harsh facial brushes.
· Be mindful that acidic products can cause flare-ups in skin prone to outbreaks and sensitivity.
· Be careful using skin care products containing retinoids, alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), glycolic acid, salicylic acid, and vitamin C